Friday, January 2, 2009

New Year, New Record

If you've followed this blog for awhile, you know that I'm all over the local weather records. Record rain, snow, temperatures (highs, lows, high lows, low highs). It's an obsession of sorts. Relatively harmless, but an obsession none the less.

And my obsession was deeply satisfied yesterday when we officially received 3.12" of rain equivalent precipitation (melted snow and rain), shattering both the local daily record for Jan 1 of 1.60" (1997), and the daily record for ANY day in January (previously 2.48" Jan 6 1948).

Except for some localized flooding and mudslides, it was a moment in weather history to be savored. You were there. Me too.

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. I was supposed to go into Portland at 3:30 this morning, but took one look at the roads (ICY!) and decided that I hadn't lived this long by doing suicidal things. So I read your blogs instead. I, too, love weather records - - - after the past couple of weeks I'm glad we have a few new records to show for it. Nothing worse than getting to within 1 degree or 0.1 inch of a new record, but not quite making it. Ugh. Thanks for the link to the aurora borealis (one of my favorite natural phenomena and one I've never really seen, except for the pink glow we sometimes get here) and the Yellowstone site (I saw then special on one of the science-oriented channels and it scared the bejeebers out of me).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, somebody who gets up even earlier than I do! But reading my posts at that hour seems like a sure-fire way to doze back off. Yeah, I am into weather records, mostly because they also represent extreme weather, which is what I really enjoy. (Up to a point, of course). If I lived in the Midwest I would almost certainly be a stormchaser.

    But then, the Midwest is in direct line of fire when the Yellowstone super-volcano blows, so nevermind. Plus, I need mountains and oceans nearby.

    ReplyDelete