Saturday, January 17, 2009

Misc Stuff

Some misc stuff that doesn't really warrant a new post, but combined... well, maybe still not warranted, but here it is:

First, at the extreme upper left of blogs hosted on Google's Blogger, there's a search box that searches the
entire history of that blog for any search word or phrase. I am probably the only person that never realized what that search box was for. I had thought it was a global "search the whole world of blogs" thing.

I've wasted way too much time in the past trying to find that elusive post in my blog on records, inversions, astronomy pics, garden stuff, etc. This is probably only of interest to me (regarding my blog), but it also applies to all Blogger blogs. And maybe some other blog hosting services also.

One word of advice: don't search this blog for "records". You'll regret it.

Second, Temira has succeeded in getting the PayPal "donate" button working on her local wind and recreation forecast site. If you appreciate and use the excellent service she has been providing there, and are able to do so, toss some spare change in her direction.

Third, speaking of PayPal donation buttons, I now have one on my weather site. I've removed the ads there, which I've been somewhat conflicted about for a while. I still might bring them back, especially if I can keep them mostly local.

I do have a specific goal for donations received: My current polling software subscription expires in a couple of months. I'm not really happy with it, and won't renew. I would like to use a more sophisticated survey service such as SurveyMonkey, or PollDaddy. However, the yearly Pro services are more than I can justify spending. So, if enough folks throw a litle coin at this, I'll feel better about trying it.

How's that for blackmail? Really, this is just an experiment, which as a techno person I love to perform. Regardless of the outcome. And, if anyone knows of any less expensive GOOD polling/survey services, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment