Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Goals

From what I've heard, it's important to set goals in life. So this year, I set the ambitious goal of being so lazy that I would only publish one blog post a month. And up until now, I've single mindedly stuck with it, ruthlessly pushing aside any thought of doing more than "Monthly Revisited's". In fact, I've almost exceeded my goal, by barely even getting those done.

But, as so often happens with goals, life has different plans.

And what broke my resolve was this summer's 71 day dry spell, which ended yesterday. It started June 20th, after a cold and rainy first half of June, and went on and on and on and on and so forth until I got really sick of keeping track of the number of days and then, thankfully, we had 0.09" of rain yesterday.

Since I use this blog as a sort of memory-jogging device, I figured I'd better do a post about the dry spell. Especially since it might be one of the longest dry spells on record for Hood River. I say "might", because my daily records don't go back any further than 2000, and I don't have access to MCAREC's more official (and much longer term) daily records. But I can say that 71 days is the longest here since 2000, and exceeded last year's dry spell of 66 days.

For the video that I've gotten in the habit of including with these blog posts, I was trying to think of songs specifically about "long dry spells ending". The first one that came to mind was the Eurythmic's classic "Here Comes The Rain Again". However, as I watched the video, I remembered that I really don't like that song all that much. Maybe it's the key of B-minor, changing to B-suspended, maybe it's the melancholy aspect of unrequited love. Maybe it's the fact that she wants this guy to "talk to her, like lovers do". Probably about "feelings". Yuck yuck yuck. I cringe just thinking about it....

Anyway, I decided to do a Google search on "songs about rain", and here's what I came up with: a song about songs about rain!




Now, if only someone would do a song about THIS song, about songs that are about songs about songs that are about songs about songs that are about rain...

No comments:

Post a Comment