Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Welcome to the Hood River Weather Blog

Up until a few months ago, I had pretty much dismissed web logs as a glorified form of talking to oneself, since the majority of blogs probably have a readership of 1 (maybe 2) people. Kind of a slightly egotistic (and maybe voyeuristic?) online diary. But a couple of things have changed my mind lately:

First, I'm on the internet often, both at home and at work. Even before the internet, I was a news and information junkie. I get a definite buzz from learning things. The internet has fed and expanded that craving, but how to handle the data overload? How does one sort through all the crap and noise and find the information that one is most interested in? For me, the answer lately has been RSS (or XML). Specifically, RSS Readers, such as Google Reader, that gather information from sites that the user defines (news sites, blogs, etc), and present it in a condensed version daily (or whenever).

Second, I created the Hood River Weather web site as a hobby and a public service 9 years ago, and it has been almost exclusively a one-way conversation. I put content on the site, and viewers look at it. Maybe they find it interesting or useful, maybe they don't. If they return, maybe they come to the site daily, once a week, or less often. Maybe the site contents work ok in their particular browser, maybe not. Other than the occasional email from viewers, I've been working blind. Other than knowing that the site gets 1000 to 2000 hits a day, I've had precious little feedback.

So... I've concluded it's now time for a blog to go along with the web site. Bring on the feedback. Bring on the site suggestions. Bring on the local weather observations at your house. I'll try my best not to babble on endlessly, but no guarantees. As with the web site, I hope you find this useful or at least interesting.

7 comments:

  1. Larry,
    thank you for your website. As a newcomer to town and the region, I check your website everyday to learn more about the weather patterns and how to prepare myself for outdoor activities: running, skiing, biking, or hiking.
    It helped me understand that the November conditions this year were 'not average' and has given me an appreciation for how unique this area and it's ecosystems are. Thanks for taking the time to offer this service - an excellent one at that.
    Sincerely,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit, I visit this site hourly some days! It is a tremendous resource for me. I love seeing the subtleties of frontal passage, with the sudden jump in temperature and wind. It’s amazing how quickly the weather can change here.

    I am the local glider pilot, so I use this site regularly to help me understand and forecast the conditions we need to soar to great heights from Hood River to Bend, or north to Adams and further.

    I’ve also wondered who else is using this great site, now maybe we will find out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use the site for access to radar images and HR current conditions. I'd like to see more info on specific road conditions in HR during the winter! I live in Parkdale but frequently have to drive to HR and updated info about the D HWY and weather there is icing on the roads in HR would be very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen any web sites that get right down to the local level; the ODOT site (Road Trip) only lists roads with state or interstate numbers.

    here is the link to the text version of ODOT's Road Trip site:

    http://167.131.0.179/reports/odotosp2.txt

    it may be that the D hwy is listed, but I dont know the state hwy number for that route (if it has one).

    I'll look for local road info on the internet, and if anyone here has found one, let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. opps, ODOT's site is called Trip Check, not Road Trip... I must be ready for one...

    ReplyDelete
  6. For all of you weather junkies, here is another interesting site to look at: http://squall.sfsu.edu/crws/jetstream.html

    It shows the current jet stream and forecasts up to 72 hours in the future. When it was cold here the jet stream was stuck in a path coming straight from Alaska. Norway has no snow because the jet stream has predominantly heading straight from the Azores to Oslo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first one had a major typo, so I'll try again. Boggs wanted to know who else uses this site. I split my time between Hood River and Oslo, Norway where I work as a petroleum geologist for Chevron Norge. So in Oslo I check on what weather my wife is getting hit with and whether the skiing is better or worse than Oslo (currently no snow in Oslo--nothing but depressed blonds, so you be the judge). When here, like others, I guide my recreation decisions. Great site.

    ReplyDelete