Thursday, March 12, 2009

Walking On Sunshine

I woke up this morning to a forecast of two more sunny days ahead. There was something else I woke up to also, but I'll get to that later. This will be a three day run of sunshine; which I think is the longest sunny stretch in town all winter. Temperatures aren't especially warm though; highs in the 40 to 50 range. Still, it's sunshine. Beautiful, glorious, life-giving sunshine.

With daylight savings time now in effect, there's time after work to get out and walk, bike, garden (or whatever you like to do outside) and soak up some rays.

In fact, it's after work right now, and I just got back from walking The Stairs in downtown Hood River. Good workout, those stairs... a perfect example of the principle that "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger".

If I continue this exercise (and assuming it doesn't kill me) I will be the owner of legs of steel, with the rest of me made of some other, more rubber-like substance.
 

So what is it about sunshine that lifts people's spirits? Is it vitamin D? Fluctuations in the levels of melatonin produced by the pineal gland? Other hormones kicking in? One thing's for sure, though: Don't it feel good?  



I also woke up to a song stuck in my head, and I thought I would share.


No comments:

Post a Comment