Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Not a whole lot happening on the HR weather scene lately. High pressure has been diverting storms north and south for the most part, and that will continue for the next week.

We did receive a little more rain (0.18") than expected from today's weak front. Another shot of precipitation might roll in on Thanksgiving, but after that... dry...

I've lived in Hood River 32 years now. For the earlier part of that time, it seemed like it would very often snow here on Thanksgiving. Not so much anymore. But I'm hoping that my saying this will shift the odds towards snow.

And from the "wow, I sure wish I'd seen that" category: Five days ago over Alberta, Canada, a desk-sized meteor plunged into Earth's atmosphere, captured on a police car dash cam:


2 comments:

  1. Things I've never seen but hope I will one day, before I die: A really great fireball; A super display of Northern Lights; A total eclipse of the sun; A glacier calving; A wild river in the winter with dozens of bald eagles perched in trees along the banks. I can probably come up with more, but these are what immediately come to mind, triggered by your comment about the meteor over Alberta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list. My favorite is the total solar eclipse. I was blessed to be able to experience the total solar eclipse of Feb 26, 1979 from the Mosier Outlook. Absolutely incredibly awesome, as the moon's shadow moved overhead and then raced towards Eastern Oregon.

    Mark your calendars for August 21, 2017, when Oregonians will have a front row seat to another total solar eclipse.

    ReplyDelete